XIII. STEPHANIE CANISIUS
Stylist ___ QVEST. Mirage Magazine. Sleek Magazine.
Sleek Magazine, Photographer: Sabrina Theissen, Hair: Gregor Makris, Make Up: Selina Spittler
Hi Stephanie, how are you?
* I´ve lost my voice but apart from that, I am very fine, thank you
What is currently on your mind?
* All the things I have to deal with today...
Your beginnings in the industry / How did you become aware of your styling prowess?
* A number of my family members were and are still involved in the fashion industry, so I guess I found an interest at an early age. For me there has always been a deeper interest for the fabrics and their qualities. I’ve always wanted to be a stylist, but in the beginnings didn´t know how to become one
Whilst studying fashion design my teacher used to continuously complain about my work focusing on styling as opposed to the design details. I guess then it all became clearer
What inspires your work? Do you have any peculiar inspirations?
* Everything can be inspiring. But to me mostly people, colours, surroundings, surfaces, textures, pictures and movies start something in my creative mind
Subjectively, what makes a good stylist?
* It’s not about staging yourself all the time, it’s about putting all your love and energy in that story, look and model
Favourite: Fashion Designer (specifically when it comes to incorporating their garments into your work) / Photographer / Artist / Musician?
* Designers: Miuccia Prada - it is so wonderful, how she can make even the ugliest things adorable to me
Phoebe Philo, Haider Ackermann, Nicolas Ghesquiere, Dries van Noten, Alber Elbaz
Photographers: Stephen Shore, Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin, Luis Sanchis
Artists: Olafur Eliasson, Egon Schiele
Inspirations ___ Haider Ackermann. Luis Sanchis.
How would you describe your personal style and on reflection, do you find your style consciously or subconsciously affects the aesthetic you create?
* I am such a fabric and material freak, it always has to be significant or a wonderful material mix or treatment. The aesthetic I create is a big fight between the wannabe me, which is pure and elegant, combating the hidden ghetto me, which wants chunky jewellery and tacky dresses
Which shoot from your portfolio, do you feel best represents your styling aesthetic? Where did the concept for the shoot germinate and how did it progress to the visuals?
* I like the shoot with Roman Goebel and Hartje Andresen the best. It shows exactly my two styling sides, I was just talking about. Roman and I wanted to create a Studio Story that is odd and special. Hartje is a very nice German Girl and most of the time she gets that healthy and pretty look. Our approach was to create something that has a tough, cheerless and shady expression. It had to be eye-catching, when Jochen Pahs came along with the red hair, everything just clicked
Roman Goebel for Qvest Magazine, Hair & Make Up is Jochen Pahs, Model: Hartje Andresen
Best advice you have ever been given?
* Good things will come to those who have patience
Do you have a muse, fashion related or otherwise?
* My grandmother
What do you most dislike about contemporary life?
* I am missing the diversity of countries and their styles, trends, shops and nutrition. When I was young travelling to any other European country it meant seeing shops and brands you didn´t previously know, watching people that look totally different to you, even dancing differently and having completely different food. Nowadays, everything seems so standardized. You get the same assortment of stuff at the big chains and everyone looks the same, which is such a shame
What do you most enjoy about the age that we live in?
* Communication and travelling, being able to keep in touch so easily and seeing what you want to see
What makes you laugh?
* I take every opportunity to laugh, so a lot of things make me laugh
What makes you cry?
* Injustice, sad songs & heartbreaks
If someone was to write your biography, what would you think the title should be?
* Reality is what you want to see
Ask yourself a question & answer that question:
Is there any fashion faux pas you want to purge?
Yes, and every time I see it I feel the need to cut my wrists - It´s Crocs. Stop that