VI. ALEX VAN DER STEEN
Stylist ___ METAL Magazine. Surface Magazine. Fiasco Magazine.
Hi alex, how are you?
* I'm good, working at my dream of living and working in New York City, working on new projects and on new plans. Getting wiser everyday by absorbing more knowledge, I love to learn. Life is a journey in which we can learn, it never stops
What are you thinking of right now?
* My desire to collaborate with inspiring creative people, who are good people at the same time. The fashion business is too much about bullshit
What would a standard day in your life entail?
* I need my coffee in the morning otherwise I cannot function. Then I will either be in a meeting, be on a shoot, or travelling
What do you most dislike about contemporary life?
* Too many ignorant people and the lack of real ones
What do you most enjoy about the age that we live in?
* The ability to travel, the world is so small. The ability to have access to a lot of information and the ability to express your true self
What makes you laugh?
* Animals, I love their genuine character and their realness.
What makes you cry?
* Animal cruelty. Ignorant, arrogant and stupid people
How would you describe your role as a fashion stylist?
* I want to create a fantasy world, a world in which the viewer can escape
Would you say you have a signature style and if so how do you maintain this when the industry aesthetic changes so often?
* I am constantly looking for the classics and the timelessness in styling. I want to look at my work in 10 years from now and still love it. I'm a huge fan of masculinity in both women’s and men’s styling
How do you unlock your creativity, what inspires your work?
* Different cultures, living creatures, religions, nature. I see inspiration in so many things around me. You need to learn to watch what’s around you, some people see but they do not watch
Do you have a favourite designer to incorporate into the shoots you style in?
* Maison Martin Margiela, Rick Owens, Raf Simons, Comme des Garcons, Balenciaga, Ann Demeulemeester, Azzedine Alaia, Haider Ackermann
To date have you had one stand out shoot that instantly springs to mind as your favourite/most successful?
* Not really, all my shoots have a little piece of me in them. But if I had to chose one, it would be a story I did with 10 Dutch top models, including Doutzen Kroes
Could you explain the concept and sources from which you styled this shoot?
* This shoot was a tribute to honor 10 Dutch top models who are very successful in the global fashion arena
The best advice you’ve ever been given?
* Chance and opportunities start with you, look into yourself and make a difference
What would you like to be doing in five years?
* Working for high end fashion magazines and start my own agency